1. (1681) William Penn. Penn, in settling his father’s estate realized that King Charles II, while in exile, borrowed ₤16,000 from his father. He approached the king, now back in power, and suggested land in the New World in place of money for repayment of the debt. Thus we have the establishment of “Pennsilvania” as originally spelled by the King.
2. (1682) Nicholas More. More, married to a Quaker, became a good friend of Penn and shared his interest in America. More purchased 10,000 acres from Penn while still in England. This Penn designated “The Manor of Moreland.” The deed to the property was not finalized until 1684. More died in 1687, intestate and leaving no instructions for the distribution or intended use of his estate. His wife Mary became Administratrix of the property and presided over the liquidation of the estate, which took fifteen years.
3. (1702) Sarah More Sluby (Daughter) and Nicholas More, Jr. (Son) inherited two contiguous strips of land of the five strips inherited by the children on Nicholas More.
4. (1711) William Allen. Allen purchased 550 acres that spanned across the strips of land owned by Sarah and Nicholas More, Jr. This included the land of the Boileau Farm.
5. (Ca. 1762) Isaac Boileau. Isaac’s father was a Frenchman driven from France among other Huguenots and exiled on the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, which gave toleration to Protestants. He landed on Staten Island in 1675. This was Isaac’s birthplace. Isaac emigrated to Bucks County and then to Moreland Township, where he and his wife, Rachel Brittan, purchased a farm of 80 acres about two miles northeast of Hatboro. Isaac was considered a well-to-do farmer. In 1776, the assessment indicated Isaac owned 200 acres of land, four horses, eight cows and one slave. In 1785, Isaac Boileau was a major landowner in the area with 220 acres. He was a Trustee of the Abington Presbyterian Church in 1798. It was on this farm that his son Nathaniel was born.
6. (1801) Rachel Boileau Barnes. In Isaac Boileau’s Will dated 1801, he bequeathed the 64-acre farm to his daughter Rachel, married to Robert Barnes, and to their children upon their deaths. The property was described as a 64-acre “plantation” with buildings, improvements, ways, woods, waters, water courses, etc.
7. (?) Jacob Barnes. Jacob Barnes, son of Rachel and Robert Barnes, inherited the farm upon the deaths of both of his parents.
8. (1829) John Walton. Thomas L. Boileau, Administrator of the estate of Jacob Barnes, officiated at the transfer of the farm to John Walton. John Walton, in his Will dated 1840, left the farm to his sons, Samuel and Lewis Walton. This is not the John Walton of the locally well-known Walton’s Mill, which came at a later time.
9. (1850) Samuel and Lewis Walton. On March 30, 1850, Abner Walton and John Wood, guardians of the minor children of John Walton, transferred the deed of the farm to his sons Samuel and Lewis.
10. (1850) Owen K. Kimbel (Kimble). On the same day, Marh 30, 1850, Samuel and Lewis Walton sold the farm to Owen Kimbel. While the deed is dated 1850, maps of the times indicate that the farm was owned by Kimbel as early as 1848. The records show different Kimbels owning the farm over the ensuing years.
11. (1865) William Kimbel. On April 1, 1865, Abel M. Kimble, Chalkley J. Kimble, Isaiah Kimble, Sarah K. Tyson, Owen K. Kimble and Richard Kimble sold the property to William Kimble for the sum of “Nine hundred thirty four dollars and sixty three cents lawfulmoney of the United States” paid to each of the sellers. Owen and Richard signed the transaction “Kimbel,” while the others signed it “Kimble.” The matter was witnessed by James M. Boileau, Justice of the Peace.
12. (1865) Sarah Kimbel Tyson. On June 1, 1865, William Kimbel sold the property to Sarah Kinbel Tyson. The transaction was witnessed by Edward B. Boileau and James Boileau.
13. (1865) Richard and William Kimbel. On June 1, 1865, Sarah K. Tyson sold the property to Isaiah, William and Richard Kimbel. The transaction was recorded on August 11, 1865 and witnessed by Edward B. and James M. Boileau.
14. (1889) Isaiah and William Kimbel. On December 11, 1889, Richard sold his interest in the property to Isaiah and William Kimbel.
15. (?) Fred Schweinfurth. The transfer of the property to C. Bradford Fraley was subject to an agreement between Schweinfurth and Fraley and his wife, Effie D. Fraley dated January 7, 1916.
16. (1916) C. Bradford Fraley.
17. (1916) Tacony Trust Company. By indenture dated March 29, 1916, C. Bradford Fraley granted and conveyed the property to the Tacony Trust Company.
18. (1918) Louie Lenning Rowland. On April 15, 1918, the Tacony Trust Company transferred the property to Louie Lenning Rowland, wife of Benjamin Rowland of Abington.
19. (Ca. 1920) William C. and Lillie Donovan rented the farm where Mr. Donovan raised cattle. The Donovans moved from the farm in 1922.
20. (1924) Thompson Gregg. A civil action dated 1943 indicates that Thompson Gregg and his wife Mary C. owned the property on July 29, 1924.
21. (1930) Elgerda P. Sexton. (Singlewoman) also known as Elgerda P. Murray acquired the deed to the property on February 27, 1930 and conveyed the property to Corbit Lovering.
22. (1930) Corbit Lovering. On February 1, 1933, Corbit Lovering of Jenkintown and his wife Ida Rowland Lovering conveyed the property to Louie Lenning (?) Rowland for the consideration of one dollar.
23. (1933) Louie Lenning Rowland. Louie Rowland, widow, conveyed the property to John R. Wilke of New Jersey and his wife Lucille on September 19, 1944.
24. (1944) John R. Wilke. On September 20, 1944, Wilke sold the property to William Molloy.
25. (1944) William H. Molloy. (35 acres) William H. and Ethel Molloy purchased the farm from Mr. Wilke. According to William Molloy, (2002), Pittsburgh, son of William H., the house and outbuildings were built circa 1740. In addition to the house, barn, carriage house and spring house, there existed a hay barn a short distance from the main barn. This was demolished, but the foundation still remains under a copse of trees.
The barn at one time bore a marker on a side wall with the inscription “Kimball 1840,” indicting that the barn had been remodeled or expanded. The front of the barn contained a number of windows to accommodate four chicken rooms. These windows were filled in at a later date. The barn had a stone wing as high as the barn itself which extended toward the driveway as far as the corner of the barnyard. This was demolished to the level of the barnyard. Unique features of the barn are the truncated field stone piers at the front of the structure and a high palladium window indicating remodeling of the original Colonial building.
26. By 1943, the spring house had already been expanded into a summer cottage. Mr. Molloy installed heat and water, utilizing the spring, and added a septic tank.
The carriage house second floor was remodeled into a studio apartment for the Molloy’s daughter Margaret upon her marriage to James Gilbert in 1950. Attached to the outside of the carriage house is a stone privy or “chick sale.”
The pent roof on the front of the main house, replacing a pillared front porch, existed when the Molloy’s moved in. The kitchen wing of the house contained a butler’s pantry, a powder room and a mud room. A small room was built to serve as Mr. Molloy’s office. The original cellar stairs near the hallway wee eliminated and a new set constructed at the barn end of the house under the stairs to the second floor. The second floor stairs were closed at the top so that a closet could be added to the main bedroom. The attic bedroom at the living room end of the house contained a sink and the middle room, a toilet and bath tub. A full bath was added in the other large bedroom in the early 1970’s.
According to Mr. Molloy, the end of the house facing the stream is not “original,” based on the thickness of the window sills. This opinion would indicate that the hillside feature of the house containing a cellar summer kitchen was an add-on and that the chimney at that end of the house was built inside of the house. This opinion is not reinforced by other Colonial sites, where a smaller structure was initially built for immediate housing and expanded later, as circumstances permitted, with a larger addition.
A picture window was added to the first floor living room in the 1940’s.
In addition to the spring house supply of water, there is indication that a well existed at one time just a short distance from the door to the spring house. Mr. Molloy, in a memo, affirmed that there was a well just off of the patio near the end of the house and close by the front door. He also reported there supposedly was a well near the barn, now covered by a concrete slab.
In the early 1960’s, Mr. Molloy, Sr. sold twenty-five acres to Mr. Dominic LaRosa, a land developer, who built a series of houses bordering the remaining ten-acre Molloy farm. About this same time, the buildings on the farm were connected to the public water and sewer systems.
27. (2002) Upper Moreland Township.