The barn at one time
had time a signboard with the name "O.K. Kimble" and the date
circa 1848 in the Palladian Window at the roof peaks. These
windows are under restoration and will be installed in the Spring of
The barn is a hybrid Pennsylvania bank barn. This one is a bridge
bank barn. Early builders could not mound the "bank" up against
the barn wall as hydrostatic pressure would cause the wall to collapse
over time. An outer wall was constructed and a ramp or bridge
crossed the gap to the interior wall that extended upward to the roof.
This ramp was incorporated into the floor of the wooden sheet portion of
the barn. The ramp and shed were removed in 2009 as the roof had
collapsed exposing the interior of the building. The process was
photographed and the salvageable timbers carefully numbered and stored
in the barn. There is a plan to restore the "bridge" this Spring
The removal of the
shed structure was accompanied by a clean out of the accumulated century
and a half of junk, "modern" partitions, and chicken manure. The
exterior walls were enclosed with siding to preserve the interior.
The electric service was placed underground and modern interior wiring
and lighting were installed. What remains now is the barn as it
was constructed in the nineteenth century. The enormous beams and
soaring roof support are revealed with the roman numeral "wedding marks"
used by the original carpenters in matching the pre-cut beams. The
interior beam structure is intact with a few exceptions. The roof
is the next priority as its leaks have caused the flooring to
deteriorate in several places.
This restoration was
made possible by a generous grant from the
Wallace Global Fund.